We can see you are using an ad blocker so this is going to be a little awkward. Playne relies on ad revenue to pay for the bills and the sandwiches. So pretty please, with a cherry on top, can you add us to your whitelist? This allows us to keep developing our discovery platform and to keep providing you with great content.
Innovative self-funded start-ups like us get hit hard by ad blockers. So do us a solid and add us to your whitelist!
38 Games Like ArcheAge
Every genre has its experiments, those small games which try to reinvent the wheel or radically alter the fundamental basics of a winning formula. While often such an effort results in absolute disaster, a few can still be found which succeed in not only rivalling more conventional releases, but sometimes even surpassing them. These are games like ArcheAge, which were not afraid to experiment and tinker with what worked; taking heavy inspiration from so many previous games, but reinventing them to create something wholly new.
Upon first joining a game like ArcheAge you will likely see many of the essentials of any MMORPG. The ever necessary levelling system, perks, feats, skills and the general role of tank, DPS and healer are all there. However, the world in which they interact with is vastly different from the likes of Lordaeron or Tyria. More akin to a sandbox simulator than any multiplayer raid experience, you have the choice of fully exploring the vast world rather than merely going from one quest hub to the next.
Atop of this freedom, players of these games are also granted a break from many of the typical fantasy stereotypes. While elves and humans both put in a showing the likes of the Firran and Harani step away from the typical dwarves and orcs, instead reflecting bestial and more oriental aesthetics at their core. The broader variety of visuals goes hand in hand with a few expected racial perks, but also a much more dynamic class system. Games like ArcheAge seek to break free of the typical trappings found in Western RPGs, and instead favour a far more free-form system. This is often built more upon choices of equipment, abilities and perks over mere careers, and grants the ability to create something far more unique.
More than anything else however, games like ArcheAge seek to add an element of unpredictability to the day to day quests. While it is easy to cite the ability to craft ships, create shipyards and even player owned freighters to traverse among islands as a selling point, it’s what happens between that which makes such releases stand out. After all, it’s one thing to make supply runs, but another entirely to try and do so, only to find the island blockaded by pirates or a kraken in your way. In these moments the game itself can seem organic and truly alive over merely a well structured series of stories. It offers you true agency and control over your existence, and the opportunity to find your way in a continuously changing world.,
If you hunger for an MMO which offers a true sense of adventure, and if you seek a game which offers more than merely a few rewards after each raid, then take a look at a few of the examples of similar games below.
- Forged at the nexus of the elemental planes, Telara is home to enchanted forests, towering volcanoes, shimmering beaches, and blighted swamps. It’s home to vibrant cities and zones alive with Ascended heroes questing, crafting, trading, battling, and building Dimensions. And it’s home to insatiable planar invaders, forces of chaos that have overrun dozens of unique dungeons and raids that are yours to purge and plunder.
- In Aion, you are a winged Elyos or Asmodian, sworn enemy races, exploring a world of breathtaking beauty ripped asunder by a celestial war. In this stunning massively multiplayer online roleplaying game, abundant solo adventures, intriguing epic group quests, challenging dungeons, and massive Legion raids hone your battle skills to new heights. Take the fight against the dragonlike Balaur invaders into Balaurea, your common enemy's homeland, to save the shattered world you love.
- Allods Online is a revolutionary massively multiplayer RPG from Gala-Net, the publisher of Flyff and Rappelz, and Mail.Ru Games, the developer of Heroes of Might & Magic V and Rage of Mages. The largest game development project in Russian history at $12 million, Allods features state of the art graphics by top award-winning artists and a cinematic soundtrack by Mark Morgan (Dexter, Fallout 1 & 2, Planescape: Torment). The game is one of the largest and most comprehensive MMORPGs ever created.
- The Lord of the Rings Online brings the world of J.R.R. Tolkien to the MMO community. Middle-earth is represented accurately in this game, with the majority of locations from the books found throughout the game world. The original release of this game comes with the lands of Eriador, where the Shire and Rivendell are located. Players will have the chance to meet many characters from the books, from Gandalf and Bilbo to Frodo and Samwise.
- Welcome to the World of Gielinor RuneScape is one of the largest, most expansive online fantasy games on the web today. It has over 175 million registered accounts and a loyal following that continues to make incredible use of its bravery, intuition, cunning and wit to explore the game world, discovering adventure, battling rival clans and conquering a massive online world.
The celebrated Elder Scrolls series is online for the first time. Discover more of Tamriel than you’ve ever seen, from the frozen peaks of Skyrim to the murky depths of Black Marsh—and do it all with your friends by your side! With a vast (and growing) world full of dungeons to delve, ancient mysteries to unravel, and incredible treasures to claim, you’ll find endless reasons to explore every corner of Tamriel.
- The world of Lineage II is a war-torn land spanning two continents, where trust and betrayal clash as three kingdoms vie for power. These kingdoms share a delicate balance of power; however, within each kingdom they are vulnerable to internal strife, as each manor has a strong desire for self-rule. Players rule supreme in this brutal and beautiful world filled with magical beasts, large-scale conflict, territories to conquer and rival clans to battle. With a strong emphasis on PvP, you may find challenges around every corner in Lineage II, but you have the means to protect yourself.
- Dragon's Dogma is an exciting new franchise which redefines the single player Action-RPG genre. Developed by the team that produced some of Capcom's greatest action games, Dragon's Dogma is set in a huge open-world environment that offers exhilarating and fulfilling action combat game with the freedom to explore and interact in a rich, living and breathing world.
- Neverwinter is a free, action MMORPG based on the acclaimed Dungeons & Dragons fantasy roleplaying game. Epic stories, action combat and classic roleplaying await those heroes courageous enough to enter the fantastic world of Neverwinter! Explore and defend one of the most beloved cities from the Dungeons & Dragons Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting as it rises from the ashes of destruction. This immersive MMORPG will take you from the besieged walls of the city to subterranean passageways in search of forgotten secrets and lost treasure.
Forsaken World is a land full of wonder, excitement, and new adventures. Stand strong and unite with your fellow adventurers against the dark forces that threaten the world of Eyrda. Choose between six races and nine classes, each with their own in-depth narrative and history, as you work to drive out the evil that inhabits the land. You will roam through an ever-changing landscape as you discover and immerse yourself in the dark, fantasy world that is Forsaken World.
- The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion presents one of the best RPGs of all time like never before. Step inside the most richly detailed and vibrant game-world ever created. With a powerful combination of freeform gameplay and unprecedented graphics, you can unravel the main quest at your own pace or explore the vast world and find your own challenges.
- Cabal Online takes place in a fictional world known as Nevareth, nearly a thousand years after its devastation by a powerful group of idealistic men, the CABAL. Hoping to turn their world into a utopia, they inadvertently fueled the forces and laws of nature to rebel against them, causing the event known as the Apocalypse. After the destruction, only eight members of the CABAL survived, including their leader, Faust.
- An epic, open-ended single-player RPG, Morrowind allows you to create and play any kind of character imaginable. You can choose to follow the main storyline and find the source of the evil blight that plagues the land, or set off on your own to explore strange locations and develop your character based on their actions throughout the game. Featuring stunning 3D graphics, open-ended gameplay, and an incredible level of detail and interactivity, Morrowind offers a gameplay experience like no other.
- In Star Wars: The Old Republic, players will explore an age thousands of years before the rise of Darth Vader when war between the Old Republic and the Sith Empire divides the galaxy. Players can choose to play as Jedi, Sith, or a variety of other classic Star Wars roles, defining their personal story and determining their path down the light or dark side of the Force. Along the way, SWTOR players will befriend courageous companions who will fight at their side or possibly betray them, based on the players' actions.
- Sometime in the 2050s, the crippling "Shiva" virus begins to spread across the globe. With evidence suggesting Shiva has been bio-engineered, the world's nations are quick to blame each other for its creation - blame which escalates into nuclear war. The player takes control of one of the 1% of the Earth's population to survive both the virus and the bombs, and must try to carve out a life in the area around the Hoover Dam Garrison - the last known human outpost in the world.
- The third chapter in developer Blizzard's premier dungeon-crawler franchise. Diablo III picks up the story twenty years after the events of Diablo II. Mephisto, Diablo, and Baal have been defeated, but the Worldstone, which once shielded the inhabitants of Sanctuary from the forces of both Heaven and Hell, has been destroyed and evil once again stirs in Tristram. Playing as a hero from one of 5 distinct character classes, players will acquire powerful items, spells, and abilities as they explore Sanctuary and battle hordes of demons to safeguard the world from the horrors that have arisen.
- Create the character that YOU want to play! Play as one of three races representing Light, Darkness and the Four Elements. Choose from 15 distinct classes, ranging from monster tamers to axe-wielding battle mages. Tame and train creatures to fight at your side! Tame, raise, and evolve your pets to complement your play style. Teach your pets skills and overbreed them for maximum effectiveness. Collect a pet for every situation! Magical pixies, ferocious orcs, divine angels, and the incredible white dragon can all be yours to command.
- Vanguard: Saga of Heroes is a fantasy, massively multiplayer online role-playing game (MMORPG) set in the vast world of Telon, an ancient world of magic, intrigue and adventure. Facing the challenges of a war torn world, the diverse people here struggle to rebuild their once great civilizations. A fragile alliance has been struck, and with the lands set upon by invading forces, the races must band together to survive. Telon is in desperate need of heroes. Your journey begins now.
- ngdoms of Amalur: Reckoning is an action RPG set in the fantasy world Amalur, which is divided into several kingdoms. It was once a peaceful world until Gadflow, the new king of the Winter Court of the magical Faelands kingdom, marched with his followers – the Tuatha Deohn – to wage war against the young races of Amalur. He believes a new god called Tirnoch is to be born in the East. The conflict is a hopeless affair for the other races as the Fae revive after death. The player controls the protagonist called Fateless One from a third-person perspective.
- Hundreds of thousands of Star Wars fans have been immersed in this epic struggle between the Galactic Empire and the Rebel Alliance in one of the fastest growing massively multiplayer online games ever, Star Wars Galaxies : An Empire Divided. Together, players engage in fierce combat, explore vast worlds, build cities and undertake dangerous missions and daring quests within the Star Wars universe."
- What is Ultima Online? There are dozens of things we could say, and that others have said over the years. It's an expansive, immersive sandbox world enjoyed by thousands of players all over the world every day. It's an innovative and unmatched experience in the realm of massively multiplayer online role playing games. It's a world in which you can not only fight, craft, create, explore, and triumph...but a world in which you can live. And it's still so much more than that.