We can see you are using an ad blocker so this is going to be a little awkward. Playne relies on ad revenue to pay for the bills and the sandwiches. So pretty please, with a cherry on top, can you add us to your whitelist? This allows us to keep developing our discovery platform and to keep providing you with great content.
Innovative self-funded start-ups like us get hit hard by ad blockers. So do us a solid and add us to your whitelist!
38 Games Like Space Engineers
Limitation is the mother of creativity. It’s an old rule, almost a cliche by today’s standards, yet other games like Space Engineers prove that it holds true. Such games are little more than creative building blocks, forcing the player to use basic items and equipment to craft a life for themselves amid a barren inhospitable environment. Starved of resources and often even basic sustenance, you are tasked with quite literally scratching a living off of rocks; burrowing down into asteroids to retrieve the ore within, before smelting and building new machinery.
Rather than the usual A to B to C progression you might expect, the games like Space Engineers specialise in freedom of choice. While there are certainly some starting machines which are infinitely more beneficial than others, there is nothing to stop you skipping those points and jumping ahead to much more fun assets. Or, for the exceptionally brave, stealing what they need from others over personally crafting them. Over time they break free of the survival sandbox tropes, and become "surthrival" experiences, where you construct a personal empire out of sweat, bloodshed and sheer determination.
Outside of the more survival oriented elements, however, the requisite sandbox mode encourages creativity in every way possible. While the sheer number of component parts on offer is enough for players to craft almost any machine they wish, combining and assembling them to forge almost anything you can imagine. Anyone can build a basic hovel, after all, but a gargoyle engraved doom fortress armed with multiple battle turrets and lava gates? That takes a unique kind of genius to pull off. Especially if you make it a castle of the flying variety. Even without that though, basic additions such as varied power generators, salvaging derelict buildings or even repurposing enemy spawners into resource farms can result in both nightmarish and horrifying designs alike.
The malleable nature and adaptability of games like Space Engineers can be found within their communities, on Youtube or even in private projects as fans adapt and alter their blueprints. Often, players will recreate or rebuild iconic designs from other franchises or even build mechanical marvels the game was never even designed to support in the first place. It really can become an underlying challenge of almost tricking the game into allowing you to accomplish something the developers never even dreamed of including. That, in of itself, is a victory few other games can offer their players.
If you wish to play a game where you start with nothing but can end with everything, or serves as the ultimate creative sandbox, then glance below at games with similar features to Space Engineers.
- Nature is brutal, but can you survive the Brutal Nature of man? Brutal Nature is a free to play multiplayer survival game where anything can be created and destroyed. You are stranded on an island but you are not alone. Form a group with others to improve your chances of survival but beware not everyone will be friendly! Life in Brutal Nature is about survival by gathering resources for crafting, building structures, hunting and being hunted. For a list of currently supported features check out our information page.
- In Planet Explorers, it is the year 2287, one of the first colony ships sent out by Earth arrives at the planet Maria, in the Epsilon Indi Star System. During its landing sequence, something appears in front of the massive ship that causes it to lose control and crash into the planet. Some of the colonists survive in lifeboats, but what they find is an unforgiving land filled with creatures ready to outlast the visitors from Earth. Now the survivors must explorer, gather, build, create, fight, and ultimately, build a new home.
- Unturned is a sandbox game in the emerging multiplayer apocalypse survival genre. Rather than focusing on being an MMO it provides players with easy systems to sit down and survive the zombie infestation with their friends. Over the course of a typical adventure, groups will have a blast fortifying locations, scavenging for supplies, trying to live off the land and negotiating with other people. The game is being developed entirely with the community in focus, and tons of features are based entirely on feedback.
- In the distant future, the X universe faces a period of profound and irrevocable change. While the universe stumbles towards an uncertain future, countless adventures await as new enemies rise in search of power. Enter a young adventurer and his unlikely female ally traveling in an old, battered ship with a glorious past - two people alone against the galaxy, playing a key part in the events to come. The fate of the universe rests in the hands of the player...
- Medieval Engineers is a sandbox game about engineering, construction and the maintenance of architectural work and mechanical equipment using medieval technology. Players build cities, castles and fortifications; construct mechanical devices and engines; and perform landscaping and underground mining.
- Guns and Robots is a free-to-play cartoon-style online shooter where players assemble funny looking, yet deadly robots. The game blends fun, inventive character design and deep customization features. Players are provided with exciting situations in multiple maps and a robust variety of weapons and weapon enchantments.
- The horrors of WWIII are imminent. There are clashes over the Malden Islands from dusk to dawn and you are caught in-between. You must use all of the available resources in your arsenal to hold back the incoming darkness. Victor Troska came back to Nogovo, he thought the pain of war was left buried in his past. But his dream lies broken now. His worst nightmare returns when military forces lands near Nogovo.
- you wake up... The hum of the fusion drive reverberates through the ship's hull. It reminds you that you should probably replace it soon. A quick check on the MobiGlas says there's an Aegis showroom on the planet you're heading to. Couldn't hurt to see what they got, right? With the Credits you make delivering this cargo, you should be able to buy your ship a little treat. Besides, she's your bread and butter. You roll on your side and look out the window at the vast yawning space outside. A distant planet silently orbits a dying sun.
- Ace of Spades is a team-based first-person shooter, similar in style to a fusion of Minecraft and Team Fortress 2. Players can choose from various different game modes such as Team Deathmatch, Capture the Flag, Base Infiltration, Zombie Defense, and Diamonds!. The inclusion of sandbox construction elements enables players to construct defensive structures or dig trenches, among other options, to achieve the goals of the current game mode.
- Alot is expected of Planetside, an exciting MMOFPS coming to us from the wildly successful Verant - responsible for Everquest, the much-hyped Star Wars Galaxies and the recently announced Everquest 2. The concept of the game is simple - throw 3,000 players onto a map around 64 square kilometers in size and let them fight, in real time, for territory, resources and personal glory. Planetside is big - very big - and in more than one sense of the word.
- Kerbal Space Program is a multi-genre game where the players create their own space program. In KSP, you must build a space-worthy craft, capable of flying its crew out into space, without killing them. At your disposal is a collection of parts, which must be assembled to create a functional ship. Each part has its own function and will affect the way a ship flies (or doesn't). So strap yourself in, and get ready to try some Rocket Science!
As a man or woman stranded naked, freezing and starving on the shores of a mysterious island called ARK, you must hunt, harvest resources, craft items, grow crops, research technologies, and build shelters to withstand the elements. Use your cunning and resources to kill or tame the leviathan dinosaurs and other primeval creatures roaming the land, and team up with or prey on hundreds of other players to survive, dominate... and escape!
- Besiege is a physics based building game in which you construct medieval siege engines and lay waste to immense fortresses and peaceful hamlets. Build a machine which can crush windmills, wipe out battalions of brave soldiers and transport valuable resources, defending your creation against cannons, archers and whatever else the desperate enemies have at their disposal. Create a trundling behemoth, or take clumsily to the skies, and cause carnage in fully destructible environments.
- Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary is a spectacularly remastered version of the original Halo campaign, created in celebration of the 10th anniversary of one of the most beloved franchises in gaming history. With a bounty of new features including cooperative play over Xbox LIVE, a bundle of some of the most beloved multiplayer maps in Halo history reimagined for Xbox LIVE, new challenges and a new story to uncover, Halo: Anniversary is a must-have experience.
Lead the revolution against an oppressive Martian regime using guerilla tactics and strategic destruction.
Set 50 years after the climactic events of the original Red Faction, Red Faction: Guerrilla allows players to take the role of an insurgent fighter with the newly re-established Red Faction movement as they battle for liberation from the oppressive Earth Defense Force.
- In TerraTech you design, construct and command a fleet of unique vehicles, as you battle your way to victory across the lawless frontiers of new alien worlds, in a quest for glory and profit. In the distant future, Earth's natural resources have been depleted, and as an off-world prospector it's your job to travel to alien planets and scour them for valuable materials. These can be refined and shipped back to Earth in return for cash, or crafted into new components to augment your fleet.
- With its extensive Tour of Duty campaign, a near-limitless number of skirmish modes, updates and new content for Counter-Strike's award-winning multiplayer game play, plus over 12 bonus single player missions, Counter-Strike: Condition Zero is a tremendous offering of single and multiplayer content.
PLEASE NOTE: This is an Early Access: the Survival, Creative and Multiplayer
modes can already be played but the story mode will only come in the final
In Alchemist's Awakening, you are a young alchemist who is still discovering
how much power he has.
There are *9 primary elements*, which can be mixed together and recombined
into blocks of different shapes, or *used as attacks* against enemies.
-------- EXPLORE -------------------------------------------------------------
- Salt is a game based around exploration and adventure where you sail across a vast ocean exploring different islands. The world of Salt is procedurally generated, providing you with an endless amount of exploration. During your adventure you will meet various challenges and obstacles that you will have to overcome, as well as discovering the real story behind the world of Salt. You will fight pirates, hunt animals, sail the ocean waves, craft items from resources you find throughout the world, and discover mysterious places throughout your adventure.